Just in time for Christmas, Sugar Cookie Cupcakes! 🎄
These cupcakes are not difficult to make, I promise. I used scratch made cupcakes and cookie dough for these, but if you are in a pinch for something to take to a Christmas party you can definitely use store bought mixes. The frosting using flavored coffee creamer, I have found it the best way to add that sugar cookie flavor without messing up the consistency.
Note, if you use a confetti cake mix you will have double the yield of cupcakes and need to double the frosting recipe to match. I posted a little slide show of decorating the cupcakes on my Facebook page, check it out!
Vanilla Confetti Cupcakes
1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 buttermilk (can sub whole milk with 1 tsp white vinegar, sit for 5 minutes)
1 1/2 tbsp jimmies (amount isn’t very important, add until you like the look)
unbaked sugar cookie dough (store bought or homemade)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and place cupcake papers in pan. (yield 12-15)
- Into a small mixing bowl measure flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk to combine.
- With an electric mixer beat eggs and sugar together for ~1 minute, or until creamy.
- Mix in oil and vanilla.
- Add 1/2 of your dry ingredients to the wet and mix until just combined.
- Add in your buttermilk, mix together followed by the remaining dry ingredients.
- Stir in jimmies/sprinkles. You want to make sure the sprinkles are not the sugar crystal kind because they will melt when you make and not look as pretty.
- Portion into cupcakes papers. You will want them not as full as usual; I used about 2 1/2 tbsp per cupcake or 1/2 full.
- Place roughly 2 tsp of cookie dough into each cupcake. Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until they pop back up when pressed.
Sugar Cookie Frosting
2 sticks softened butter
2 1/2 cups powedered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2-4 tbsp sugar cookies flavored coffee creamer
- Place butter into bowl of mixing bowl and beat until sticks are creamed together.
- Add powdered sugar and vanilla and mix until well combined.
- Add coffee creamer, starting with lesser amount until consistency and flavor are ideal.
How to Decorate Christmas Tree Cupcake
1. Spread a thin layer of frosting onto the cupcake and dip into white sanding sugar (the clear sprinkles at the store). I like to dump sprinkles into a ramekin or cereal bowl for this step. This will give a ‘snow’ like effect.
2. Color remaining frosting green for the Christmas trees. Place icing into decorating bad fitted with a 1M or 2D decorating tip (these are the most popular and easy to find large tips).
3. A little inside the edges, as to not cover all the ‘snow’ make a swirl of green frosting by going in a clockwise motion and making the circle smaller until your ‘tree’ is as tall as you like.
4. Add sprinkles for ornaments on your tree.
5. Be proud of your creation!